In Flanders the Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) finances (strategic) basic research. Within the pillar of basic research FWO launched a new call for the Odysseus programme.
The Odysseus programme provides outstanding researchers who have built up a career outside Belgium, a start-up funding in order to develop or to set up a research line during a five-year period a research group within a Flemish university, potentially in collaboration with (an)other Flemish research organisation(s), and become progressively more involved in the Flemish research landscape.
What makes this programme unique is the combination of a position at a Flemish university and sufficient project funding to establish their own research team. This symbiosis forms the ideal starting point to attract high level, international research to Flanders.
There are two types of funding available:
Odysseus Type I
• for researchers who are internationally recognised as pioneers in their field;
• research funding: from 400,000 euro to 1,000,000 euro per year (2,000,000 euro to 5,000,000 euro for the 5-year period).
Odysseus Type II
• for postdoctoral researchers who have the potential to develop a leading international position;
• research funding: from 100,000 euro to 200,000 euro per year (500,000 euro to 1,000,000 euro for the 5-year period).
More information as well as the guidelines for applicants can be found on this website.
Candidates are nominated at FWO by the universities of the Flemish Community themselves. Therefore interested candidates are requested to directly contact one of the 5 universities:
• KU Leuven: email@example.com
• UAntwerp: firstname.lastname@example.org
• UGhent: email@example.com
• UHasselt: research@UHasselt.be
• VUB: firstname.lastname@example.org